Indonesia’sCorruption Eradication Commission has taken a senior government official into custody in connection with strong indications of corruption allegedly involving construction of the athletes village for the Southeast Asian Games in Palembang in November. KPK spokesman Johan Budi told the Jakarta Globe on Friday that the investigators from the antigraft agency swooped on the State Ministry of Youth and Sports Affairs in Senayan, South Jakarta, on Thursday night. Johan said two men and a woman had been taken into custody after the bust at the office of ministry secretary Wafid Muharam. He said the trio, identified as ministry official WM, businessman MI and mediator R, a woman, had been taken away for further questioning. Also recovered were documents and checks totaling Rp 2 billion [$231,750]. WM is believed to be Wafid Muharam. “We also searched [Wafid’s] and R’s offices, we suspected the checks were given in connection with the construction of an athletes village for the upcoming SEA Games in Palembang,” Johan said. The budget for the athletes’ village is Rp 200 billion. The 26th SEA Games will be held on Nov. 11-20. The country is hosting the Games for the first time since 1997.
The plotters of a foiled Easter church bombing in Indonesia planned to film the attack and could be behind other atrocities, police said Friday, with the nation on its highest alert level. Antiterror police arrested 19 suspects and defused five bombs around the church, on the outskirts of Jakarta, on Thursday. Some of the devices had been positioned on a nearby empty plot where a gas pipe runs underground. "They had prepared to shoot the bombing of the church and broadcast it. That was their plan," National Police spokesman Anton Bachrul Alam said. He said police arrested the mastermind of the planned attack in Aceh after he fled Jakarta. "This is a new cell. The mastermind had planned to activate the bombs on Friday at 9 a.m. using timers," Alam said. The suspects were also behind recent "book bombs" sent to several addresses including those of liberal Muslim figures and a counter-terrorism official, police said. No one was killed in those attacks. Many of the detainees had university degrees, according to police. Several of the 19 arrested could also be linked to last week's suicide bombing inside a local police headquarters compound in the city of Cirebon, in West Java, police said. The bomber, who detonated his explosives during Friday prayers in a mosque, was killed instantly and injured 30 people. The attack was the first suicide bombing inside a mosque in the world's largest Muslim-majority nation of 240 million people. "We are still on highest level of alert," Alam cautioned. Jakarta police deployed 20,000 officers to safeguard Easter celebrations in the capital. Buky Sudradjat, a Christian who lives in South Jakarta, said that he attended a Good Friday church service and found it guarded by dozens of police. "The church service this morning was still packed with people despite the church bomb," Sudradjat said. "It's quite horrifying when I think about the bomb threat, but I still plan to come to church on Sunday for Easter service no matter what," he said. Indonesia has been rocked by a series of attacks staged by regional terror network Jemaah Islamiyah in recent years, including the 2002 Bali bombings which killed 202 people. Brussels-based think-tank International Crisis Group on Tuesday pointed to a new trend of small violent groups adopting "individual jihad" aimed at local "enemies", including police and Christians.
Jakarta -Someelementsof societyhavecomplainedofallegedirregularitiesin theprocessof planningnew buildingprojectsthe Housetothe KPK.However,untilnowthere has been nosignificant results,becausethe researchis still being conducted.
"There is already a(complaint),whileweexamine.we cannottellwhatthe results ofanalysis ofthe KPK,"saidViceChairman of theKPKMJasin.
This wasafter theceremonyhe had hisdiscussiontitled'PreventingCorruptionin theTriasPolitica'thatwas heldby theNGOPartnershipEvents Calendaroffice,Senayan,Jakarta,Wednesday(20/04/2011). According toJasin,whoenteredtheKPKcomplaintsrelatedgoodsandservicesprocurement processatthe beginning ofthe project.Alleged to haveoccurreddirect appointmentofpotentiallyviolatingPresidential DecreeNo.80of2003on theprocurement ofgoodsandservices. "His reportwas so(allegedlydirect appointment),hasenteredandwe arestudied, "he said. Jasincan notrevealwho thepartyresponsible for theprocurementproject.Clearly, there is aPower of AttorneyHolderBudget(KPA),whichhasauthorityoverthe project. "Secretary General ofautomatic,butthere areotherNACsuch asDGcould be,"he added. IndonesiaCorruption Watch(ICW)isoneelementof societywhocomplain ofallegedirregularitiesto theCommissionthe constructionof newbuildings.Thereare twoditengariallegedirregularitiesoccur,namelyviolations ofprocedureandthe process ofcountingirregularitiesnew buildingconstruction. Complaintsfiled with theCommissionsince 13April 2011.